Church of St Andrew, Cobham, Surrey

Cobham is an ancient settlement recorded in the Domesday Book and the present church dates from the middle of the 12th century. There were extensive restorations in Victorian times, but a large number of earlier features have been kept.

Originally a Chantry Chapel, the Cobham War Memorial Chapel was created in 1919. The block floor of Italian walnut is made of waste from the wood used for making rifle stocks. Outside the church and originally built as a Mortuary Chapel, is the Chapel of Peace.

Near the west doorway lies the oddly named Kerenhappuch Jelly, whilst in the north-east corner of the church is the tombstone of one David Archibald who it is stated died on ’31st February 1880′.

The church is often open to visitors thanks to a rota of friendly volunteers, although the keys can be found at the nearby Church House if found to be locked. The church has eight bells which are often used. It is sometimes alleged that the church is supposed to be haunted by a strange apparition of a blue donkey.

Those known to have been baptised here:
Mary Reffell, baptism date: 15/3/1736
John Reffell, baptism date: 16/2/1739
William Reffell, baptism date: 19/8/1739
Marmaduke Reffell, baptism date: 17/7/1743
Marmaduke Reffell, baptism date: 1/12/1744
James Reffell, baptism date: 25/1/1745
Mary Reffell, baptism date: 11/1/1795
John Reffell, baptism date: 9/101796
James Reffell, baptism date: 26/10/1800
Richard Reffell, baptism date: 30/3/1802
Frances Reffell, baptism date: 23/10/1803

Those known to have been buried here:
Marmduke Reffell, burial date: 27/8/1743, infant
Richard Reffell, burial date: 24/8/1802, infant
Frances Reffell, burial date: 21/12/1804, age: 1
William Reffell, burial date: 19/9/1767, age: 28