Timeline

The first recorded instance found so far being the baptisms of Henry (1572), Alice (1576) and Ellen (1578) to Anthony Reffell and an unrecorded spouse at St Mary Worplesdon.
In the next century there are baptisms in Ewhurst during 1659 and just over the Sussex border there are baptisms, marriages and burials between 1680 and 1714 at St Laurence Lurgashall.
The Lady Day (25 March) Hearth Tax of 1664 showed a William Reffell at Ewhurst and a Henry Reffew at Woking.
1746 John Reffell is born
10 February 1771 John marries Elizabeth Terry at Abinger
21 March 1775 Elizabeth wife of John is buried at Shere
8 October 1776 John marries Ann Burchatt at Cobham
July 1779 John pleads for money to pay for doctors bill – Thomas Reffell’s wife’s broken leg £2-2s-0p
1787 Seats in Shere church are paid for by John
19 December 1781 John Reffell baptised is at Shere
3 December 1788 An infant John is buried
1790 John is living in Upper Street, Shere
1791-8 John is paid for some beer by the Reverend George Bray
28 December 1794 James son of John & Ann is buried
1795-9 John & Ann are living at Denton, Upper Street, Shere
30 June 1786 Joseph Reffell is baptised at Shere
1797 John is the occupier of The White Horse, Shere
7 June 1798 John Reffell is buried at Shere
1806 John Reffell marries Mary Ann Luxford at Chidingford
8 November 1807 Elizabeth wife of John is buried at Shere
14 December 1808 John is baptised at Shere
13 January 1814 John marries Elizabeth Smith at West Horsley
1817 Henry obtains Settlement Certificate for Shere
12 October 1817 Henry is baptised at Shere
11 February 1823 William Joseph I is baptised at Shere
2 July 1825 John is named as the father of Mary Allen’s illegitimate baby
1824-9 Joseph Reffell Colonial Secretary and Superintendent is in Sierra Leone
1830 The Reffell Malthouse at Shere is built
1830 The Chestnuts at Gomshall is built
1830-5 Henry is shown on paupers list
1831 John buys Elm (now Seaforth) Cottage, Gomshall Lane, Shere
1844 Mary is the occupier of Seaforth Cottage according to the Tithe map
1855 In the Dorking Trade Directory – John R Farmer, William J Brewer
15 August 1865 Elizabeth dies leaving two conflicting wills to be contested
1865 Henry Reffell opens the Redhill Brewery
1874 Henry Reffell opens the Bexley Brewery, passing it to his sons to become the Reffell Brothers Brewery in 1886
1883 Henry Joshua Reffell leaves London and takes his family to South Wales3 December 1898 The Reffell Brothers capitalise the Brewery as Reffells Bexley Brewery Limited
9 January 1900 Louise Josephine Masset is hanged for murder
1904 Robert (Bobby) Abel retires from first-class cricket
31 July 1913 John (Earthquake) Milne dies
1914-1918 The First World War
1922 Herbert William Reffell moves to Wiltshire and opens a butchers shop
1926 The Gomshall brewery is closed
1927 Reffells Motor Works opens in Gomshall
20 September 1928 Eric Robot is exhibited at the Society of Model Engineers in London
1937 Reffells Service Station opens on the new Guildford by-pass
1939 William Scoresby Routledge dies
1939-1945 The Second World War
1956 Reffell’s Bexley Brewery Limited is closed
1980 The Wiltshire butchers shop closes